The Streets Department’s 2019 Philly Leaf Recycling Program begins on Tuesday, November 12 and runs through Saturday, December 21. The program is one of several services provided by the Streets Department to honor the City’s on-going commitment to recycling by helping to reduce the amount of materials that reach the waste stream.
Bagged leaf drop-off will be offered city-wide on Saturdays, with the exception of November 16th and 30th, at 13 designated locations from 9 AM to 3 PM for the duration of the program.
Mechanical leaf collection will be provided as a supplement in areas known to have a heavy accumulation of leaves. The mechanical leaf collection operation will include leaf blowers, mechanical sweepers, and leaf loaders. Mechanical leaf collection crews will concentrate their efforts in designated boundaries each week, following a strategic schedule to maximize efficiency and productivity.
Follow these tips for bagged leaf collection:
Bagged leaf drop-off will be offered citywide at 13 locations only on Saturdays from 9am to 3pm for the duration of the program. Visit www.philadelphiastreets.com/leaves for the full list of locations.
The locations for Southwest are as follows:
- 54th & Woodbine Avenue
- 43rd & Powelton Avenue
Bagged leaves will only be accepted in biodegradable paper bags. These bags can be processed for recycling along with the leaves. This reduces contamination in the recycling process.
Do not mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves. This contaminates the leaves and makes them unfit for recycling purposes.
· Use as many bags as needed, a maximum of 40 lbs. each.
· Bagged leaves may also be taken to any of the Sanitation Convenience Centers:
West Philadelphia 3033 S. 63rd Street (63rd & Passyunk Ave.)
West Philadelphia 5100 Grays Ave.
Follow these tips for mechanical leaf collection:
- All leaves should be raked and ready for collection by 7:00 AM on the day of mechanical collection. Rake leaves into the street by the curb’s edge (piling is not necessary).
- If possible, move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, so crews can remove leaves along the curb line.
- Residents in mechanical areas can also drop-off bagged leaves.
- Mechanical collection crews will visit routes only once. Residents are urged to sweep and bag any remaining leaves and take them to any of the set out for collection on trash day or take to any bagged drop-off locations or Sanitation Convenience Center.
There will be no collection of leaves on City holidays. During this six-week program, leaves will be collected for composting purposes, like, fertilizing gardens and nourishing trees. For more information, residents can visit http://www.philadelphiastreets.com/leaves or call 311.