The Community Champions Awards & Grants Challenge is an initiative by the Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity to celebrate individuals and community-based organizations that have served communities of color and those with low incomes during the COVID-19 pandemic. Individuals selected will receive one-time grants or cash assistance of $2,500. Organizations selected will receive a $20,000 grant and ten runner-ups will receive $12,500.
Eligibility Criteria for Individuals
- Must be nominated by a non-profit organization, community-based organization, elected official and/or City commission or board
- Must live in Philadelphia as a permanent, year-round resident
- Must have provided community service or volunteerism during the pandemic (between March 17, 2020 and March 14, 2022)
- Must be able to demonstrate that they are at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (i.e., supplying a 2019 or 2020 tax return or similar documentation that demonstrates income)
- Must be able to demonstrate an emergency financial hardship (i.e., a utility shutoff notice, eviction notice, or similar financial crisis)
- Must not be currently employed by the City of Philadelphia
- Must be eligible to receive Financial Assistance under Section 17-1404 of the Philadelphia Code
Eligibility Criteria for Nonprofit Organizations
- Must be based in Philadelphia and benefit Philadelphians
- Must submit documentation demonstrating an annual budget under $1 million
- Must have current 501(c)(3) IRS status or a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) IRS status and be in good standing with the IRS
- Must serve Philadelphians at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
- The activities this grant will fund must have begun during the period of March 17, 2020 to March 14, 2022.
For more information or to apply visit https://www.phila.gov/2022-03-21-apply-now-or-nominate-someone-as-a-community-champion/