• JUNE 14: Movie Night - Bartram's Garden 5400 Lindbergh Blvd. 8:30 - 10:30 p.m. Bring a blanket for "BUMBLEBEE" (2019)
Refreshments. Info: www.bartramsgarden.org
JUNE 15: Nature Photography Walk at Heinz National Wildlife Refuge: 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. Good camera needed. 8601 Lindbergh Blvd., Details: www.fws.gov/refuge/John_Heinz/visit/upcomingevents.html
• JUNE 15: Disability Pride Parade & Celebration: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Opening Ceremony at 10:00 a.m. at the National Constitution Center. At 11:00 a.m., the parade will begin at 6th & Arch Street. Celebration will begin at 12:00 p.m. in City Hall Courtyard.
• JUNE 16: 3rd Annual Balkan Night: Bartram's Garden Eastwick Pavilion : 5400 Lindbergh Blvd. 6:00 - 10:00 p.m. Music, Dancing, $20. (Members $10) Info www.bartramsgarden.org
• JUNE 17: 12th District Police Service Area #1 Meeting, 5:30 p. m. ShopRite Supermarket Community Room, Penrose Plaza, Island Ave. Learn what’s happening in your area. Info: Lt. Allen (#58) PPD.12.PSA1@phila.gov
• JUNE 17, 24: "Financial Peace University” 9-session workshop series - How to become debt free! Instructors: Mr/Mrs Dale McCoy (based on course by Dave Ramsey). Classes at Folcroft Union Church, 500 Primos Ave. Details/Fees 215-492-9663.
• JUNE 19: 12th District Police Service Area #3 Meeting, 6:30 p. m. Meyers Recreation Center, 58th & Kingsessing Avenue. Learn what’s happening in your area. Info: Lt. Galie PPD.12.PSA1@phila.gov
• JUNE 20: Nature 101: Introduction to Fishing & many other free activites: 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. Heinz National Wildlife Reserve. 8601 Lindbergh Blvd. kayaking, archery, smartphone photography, fishing, hiking for health, and watching wildlife. All welcome: Info:
• JUNE 22: SW Block Captains & CityLights Networking Meeting (open to all SW residents) 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. The Common Place, 5736 Chester Ave. (Entrance thru 58th St. Parking Lot). "How can the Free Library serve the SW Community?" Sponsors: The Free Library & CityLights Ministry. Light Refreshments. Info: 215-729-0804 or 267.275.8238 EXT 304
• JUNE 22: Christ Haven Church Flea Market: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Tables available. For more information, contact Robin at 215-365-5966.
• JUNE 22: Summer Solstice Celebration - Heinz National Wildlife Refuge: 5:00 – 10:00 p.m. (rain or shine). Bring a lawn chair, Food, live music, guided hikes, yoga, crafts, a movie, and more! Info: www.fws.gov/refuge/John_Heinz/visit/upcomingevents.html
• JUNE 27: Mercy Philadelphia Hospital Bariatric Nutrition Class: The classes will meet from 12 to 12:30 p.m. in Mercy Philadelphia Hospital’s Iris Henderson Conference Room, located at 501 South 54th St., Philadelphia, Pa. For more information, call 610.237.3641 or visit www.mercybariatrics.org.
• JUNE 27: 12h District Police Service Area #4 Meeting, 6:30 p.m. Kingsessing Library, 1201 South 51st Street. Learn what’s happening in your area. Info: Lt. Kelly PPD.12.PSA1@phila.gov
• JUNE 29: Mercy Auxiliary Juneteenth Celebration Fundraiser, 12:00 p.m. Mercy Philadelphia Hospital, 7th Floor Chapel. For any additional information contact Lillian Jones at 215-476-0143
• JUNE 30: Black Men Unifying Black Men Anti-Violence Family Fun Day BBQ, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Free food and Activities for kids, including a moon bounce. “Ole Heads vs. Young Bucks” Basketball Tournament. To donate or for more info, call Keemen Copeland at 267-834-3469.
• JUNE 30: Mount Moriah Summer Hearse Hangout 11:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m. This is a car show for -- hearses. Funds raised are donated to the Friends of Mount Moriah Cemetery, Inc. Event Address is 1004 Cobbs Creek Parkway.
EMPLOYMENT – JOB & LIFE SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
Free Evening Adult Education/GED Classes, 5:00 - 7:30 p.m. Tilden Middle School, 6601 Elmwood Ave. Information: 215-474-1235 ext. 200
Free Adult Beginning Reading Classes continue, sponsored by the Friends of Kingsessing Library, at 51st and Chester. If you want to learn to read, or to teach with us, contact Adults Can Learn to Read at https://never2late2read.org/
English Classes, sponsored by Center for Literacy, held at Southwest CDC, 6328 Paschall Ave and Paschalville Library, 6942 Woodland Ave. (70th & Woodland). Info: 215-729-0800 or ACLTR.email@example.com or 267-419-7084.
Employment & Educational Resources: Mon/Wed. 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Tues/Thurs: 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Fri. 10:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m. Paschalville Library, 6942 Woodland Ave. (70th & Woodland); Info: Niema at 215-685-2662. Also: facebook.com/SWJRL
OTHER COMMUNITY SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
In-Home Family Services: Family Empowerment (FES) and Home Protective (IHPS) services to strengthen and stabilize families and preventing children’s placement in foster care. For families where DHS has determined that there is an active safety threat. theVillage Preheim Center, 6517 Chester Ave. Call 215-730-2240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Gateway to Re-Entry Weekly Community Meetings for returning citizens, 12:00 Noon, Myers Rec. Center 58th & Kingsessing Ave.
Outpatient Behavioral Health Services for individuals and families; behavioral therapy for children, adolescents & adults, medication management, psychiatric services; trauma focused treatment: theVillage, 6517 Chester Ave., (215) 730-2326, email email@example.com or visit website: https://village1877.org
The John Bartram HS Class of January, 1959 (Honey's Class), 60th reunion, April, 2019. Seeking lost classmates. Forward information to Joe Mongeluzi at 610-284-7634 firstname.lastname@example.org."
Joe Mongeluzi requests that interested classmates contact him at 610-284-7634 or email@example.com
Eastwick Family Services provides Home /Community and Companion services for individuals with intellectual disabilities. We also provide 6400 Residential Housing & Home Care for the aging. For more information, please call us at (267) 634-6410 or visit our website: www.eastwickfamily.com”
Foster Parent Information Sessions: Each month, the 2nd and 3rd Tuesdays of the Month, 5:00 to 7:00 pm Location: theVillage Preheim Center located at 6517 Chester Ave. Call 215-730-2240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or for more information.
Rotary Club of Southwest Philadelphia-Eastwick: Wednesdays, 7:30-8:30 a.m. To confirm location call 215-292-1254.or email email@example.com Visitors welcome at $5.00/breakfast.
Small Business Loans: Join a Southwest “Affinity Group Lending Circle” Loans, and financing coaching. www.finanta.org or call 267-236.7000
Amer. Red Cross: URGENT NEED: BLOOD/ VOLUNTEERS visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
Housing Counseling: Help is a Phone Call Away: Qualified housing counselors available at Southwest CDC to assist with housing needs Southwest CDC Housing: 215-729-0800.
- ____ CHILDREN
- The Philadelphia Head Start Partnership openings at three locations in Southwest Philly: - Woodland Academy, 5401 Grays Ave.; - SW Presbyterian Center, 2559 S 70th Street; - Barbara Allison FCCH 6010 Cedarhurst Ave.
- - Teach n' Tumble, Woodland Plaza, Woodland Ave.
- Pre-K classes for children ages 3 - 5 years Children and parents/legal guardians must be residents of Philadelphia, PA. Info: Call 215-105-0400 or visit ww.philaheadstartpartnership.org
- ________________________________FOSTER CARE & ADOPTION _______________________________
- Foster Care Parents Needed! Are you Concerned about children who are: Afraid ♦ Alone ♦ Vulnerable? Do you have patience, perserverence & a big heart? ♦ You may have what it takes to be a foster parent! ♦ Children come from all over Greater Philadelphia area ♦ Commitments may be short term or longer term. For information call Carletta/Denise at 610-525-5400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. theVillage: Serving Southwest since 187.
- Foster Care Parents Needed Turning Points for Children Find out about the privilege of being Resource parents & helping a child In his or her time of need: Garrett Lassiter, Resource Home Coordinator, 267-315-0480 Email:email@example.com
- Family Support Services: Turning Points For Children, The Common Place, 58th St. & Chester Avenue. For general inquiries on Turning Points programs and activities, call 215-875-3400 or visit www.turningpointsforchildren.org•
PHILADELPHIA FREE LIBRARY - SW BRANCH ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
Interest designations: “A” for Adults; “B” for Teens; “F” for Families; “C” for Children
♦ Kingsessing Branch, 1201 S 51st St.215.686.2690
M/W 10-6, T/Th 11-7, F closed, Sat 10-5
- LEAP After school Prog. M–Th. 3–5 pm
♦ Eastwick Branch: 2851 Island Ave - 215.685.4170
Hours: M/W12-8, T/Th10-6, F 10-5, Sat 10-5
- LEAP After school Prog..T-F, 3 – 5:30 p.m.
♦ Blackwell Branch: 125 S 52nd St. 215.685.7433
- Free SAT Prep Help .
♦ Nixon/Cobbs Creek Branch: 5800 Cobbs Creek Pkway 215.685.1973
Hours: M/W12-8,T/Th10-6, F10-5, Sat 10-5
- SMART Readers: Art & Literacy Prog, Students Grades 2 -5
♦ Paschalville Branch: 6942 Woodland Ave, 215.685.2662
Hours: M/W10-6,T/Th 11-7, F10-5, Sat closed
By David Reeder