Deeply Rooted is a community-academic collaborative that uses the healing power of nature to promote health and wellbeing in Black and Brown Philadelphia neighborhoods. Deeply Rooted is led by the Penn Urban Health Lab along with our lead partners Southwest CDC, ACHIEVEability, Sister Clara Muhammad CDC, Community of Compassion CDC, and other community organizations in West and Southwest Philadelphia.
Deeply Rooted is a joint effort between Penn Medicine and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) serves as the lead strategic greening intervention partner. Residents, community leaders, and small and large community organizations in West and Southwest Philadelphia are key stakeholders in developing and achieving the Deeply Rooted mission. We are currently servicing Kingsessing, Cobbs Creek, Haddington, and Mill Creek neighborhoods.
The primary aims of the collaborative are to:
- Empower communities to create new greenspace including planting trees, greening vacant lots, and building mini-parks
- Provide grants to community organizations and residents to put on events and run activities in parks and other greenspace, by way of our Community Green Grants program
- Create career development opportunities for youth, returning citizens, & others through leadership & nature-based job training
- Advocate for policies and neighborhood investments that promote environmental justice
Deeply Rooted principles of community engagement include:
- Community members are the experts in the strengths and needs of their community
- Community members are valued partners who share in leadership and decision making
- Building capacity, knowledge, skills, and resources
How can you get involved right now?
- Get a free tree with one year of maintenance (SCAN QR CODE BELOW)
- Vacant lot cleaning and fencing
- Call for proposals for Spring and Fall Community Green Grants
LEARN MORE Visit our website to learn more about Deeply Rooted and other initiatives from the Penn Urban Health Lab: urbanhealthlab.org/deeply-rooted
CONTACT US If you have questions, reach out: DeeplyRooted@pennmedicine.upenn.edu