For the past three weeks, the Health Annex, located at the Woodland Plaza Shopping Center at 6120 Woodland Avenue, has been open and doing testing for Covid-19/CoronaVirus.
Some things to note about the Health Annex:
- Since the Health Annex is a federally qualified health center, they are not allowed to turn anyone away (just make sure you call before visiting).
- Testing is free for anyone that would like to come by.
- You do not need to be a patient of the Health Annex or live in the southwest area to get tested. You also do not need to have/show symptoms to get tested.
- No one under 18 is being tested.
I spoke with ChrisAnne Smith, the Community Engagement Specialist at the Health Annex, who asked that anyone who is thinking about visiting the Annex to call first. The Health Annex is operating under a modified schedule and, for your safety as well as the Annex’s staff, would like a heads up if you want to visit their site for testing.
So far, 308 people have been tested at the facility. The testing is done on “event days” which are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Nurses come out to those who have cars to administer the “swab” test to patients. For those patients without a car, they are able to receive the test from inside.
Emily Nichols, the Executive Director of Family Practice Counseling Network (FPCN), says that the staff at the Health Annex (as well as other sites) are “Rockstars” and have been going above and beyond in their efforts to help those who need it during these troubling times.
For those who have tested positive, Ms. Smith suggests that you follow these steps:
- Monitor your temperature daily
- Get plenty of rest/fluids
- Quarantine yourself
- Eat healthy foods
- Keep your hands clean and away from your face
- Stay home! (with the exception of essential runs)
- Seek medical attention if your temperature is anywhere between 102-104 degrees
Other locations within the FPCN, are also providing testing: Abbottsford-Falls, located at 4700 Wissahickon Ave. Building D, can be reached at (215) 843-9720; the 11th St. Family Health Services of Drexel University 850 N. 11th Street can be reached at (215) 769-1100. Also, a new site at Abbottsford Homes will be offering testing in about a week or two, for more information on this location, contact 215-843-9720.
If you want to call and schedule an appointment or have questions for the Health Annex, use 215-727-4721.
Information for this article was provided by Emily Nichols and ChrisAnne Smith.