Website Bartram's Garden
The River Program Coordinator supports Bartram’s Garden to position this 50-acre Southwest Philadelphia asset as a dynamic civic commons and river garden. Since 2015, the River Program at Bartram’s Garden has promoted the self-determined engagement of Southwest residents with local waterways by providing necessary tools, opportunities, and safe, accessible spaces. This program includes the Bartram’s Garden Community Boathouse, a summer on-water high school internship program, a water quality monitoring initiative, swim training, and free walk-up kayaking, row boating, and fishing programs. Programs focus specifically on introductory-level water recreation and are powered by high school interns and 70+ trained volunteers.
The River Program Coordinator delivers river programming to the public, implements community water quality monitoring, and supports Boathouse operations and youth education, to ensure that nature and the environment are accessible and inviting to everyone. The position reports to the River Program Manager and supports the supervision of youth and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities: With the support of the River Program Manager, the River Program Coordinator will:
- Staff public program events, including acting as lead staff member for some fishing, boating, and partnered programs. This may include:
- Set up and break down events with Program Support
- Perform roles and tasks to carry out programs as part of a team
- Ensure all safety and operating protocols are followed
- Provide instruction to volunteers and assisting staff
- Act as day-of point person for program partners
- Implement Community Water Monitoring Program:
- Facilitate and/or administer all data collection and entry
- Maintain physical equipment and testing areas
- Train and oversee Denkyem River Guardians high school interns in water quality testing
- Communicate with organizational project partners as needed
- Procure and maintain equipment and supplies
- Support season opening and closing and daily Boathouse operations
- Supervise 12-week summer Delaware River Watershed Fellow
- Support training and management of Boathouse volunteers and Denkyem River Guardians
- Plan volunteer appreciation and community-building activities
- Manage weekly administrative communications and documentation
- Track volunteer signups and attendance
- Report on any issues, needs or incidents at programs
- Communicate program cancellations to all necessary contacts
- Process participant data
- Contribute to team planning and evaluation of River Programs that meet the vision and mission of Bartram’s Garden
- Other emergent duties as programming evolves
Required Certifications and Licenses (may be obtained upon employment)
- Certification in First Aid/CPR/AED
- Driver’s License
- Pennsylvania fishing license
- Pennsylvania boating license
- Kayak safety and rescue training; ACA Level 2 Kayak Instructor certification preferred
As position involves routine contact with minors, the River Program Coordinator will be required to submit and renew at least every 5 years the following:
- Pennsylvania Criminal History Check through the Pennsylvania State Police (PATCH)
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Check through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services
- FBI Criminal History Check
Bartram’s Garden Vaccination Policy: All staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious or medical reasons.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with the general public.
- Experience working with youth and volunteers; interest and ability to act as a mentor.
- Interest and ability to collaborate interdepartmentally and with outside partners.
- Organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize a variety of competing deadlines.
- Ability to adopt and master computer technology for communication, recording data, or other platforms necessary to meet core responsibilities.
- Some scientific background, experience, and interest.
- Experience working in communities of color, commitment to racial, economic, environmental and social justice.
- Personal or professional familiarity with Southwest Philadelphia preferred.
The River Program Coordinator is a physically demanding position that is conducted outdoors, often in difficult weather conditions, on the water, and in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to move and operate boating and fishing equipment; stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; work in immediate proximity to general public in a safe and friendly manner. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The administrative components of this position require the ability to sit/stand at a desk, work on a computer, and use a monitor for extended periods of time.
Schedule and Compensation
The salary for this position is $38,000-$40,000 annually, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, short and long-term disability coverage, paid holiday, sick, and vacation time. The River Program Coordinator will be required to work weekend and evening programs seasonally, some holidays, occasional early mornings, and occasional late nights in support of regular river programming. Additionally, all full-time staff support annual site-wide events including Southwest Spring Fest; Juneteenth; Honey Fest; Twilight in the Garden; Indigenous People’s Day; Harvest Fest; and Handmade Holidays.
To apply, please send your resume along with a brief note describing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “River Program Coordinator” in the email subject line. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Bartram’s Garden recognizes the value of promoting a diverse workforce.
To apply for this job please visit bartramsgarden.org.