Philadelphia Gas Works (PGW) urges customers to call 215-235-1000 immediately to determine their eligibility for a free $300 COVID-19 Relief Grant. The $2 million grant program launched today to help customers who have been financially impacted by the prolonged COVID-19 pandemic better afford their natural gas bills during the winter months and avoid accumulating debt.
Funding is limited and will be provided on a first come, first serve basis. Customers may qualify if their bill is past due and if their household meets any of the following conditions:
- Households experiencing financial hardship related to the pandemic.
- Households in which a member is furloughed from their job or has lost work, even if there is another income-earning member in the household.
- Households with a self-employed person and/or contract employee.
- Households in which a household member is caring for someone with COVID-19.
- Households with school-aged children impacted by stay-at-home orders.
If a customer’s service is currently off, in order to be eligible for a PGW COVID-19 Relief Grant, the customer must bring the amount due to $600 or less.
In addition to the COVID-19 Relief Grants, PGW offers several payment assistance programs such as LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) that help customers stay current on their home heating bills and avoid future service termination. The free LIHEAP federal grants range between $200 and $1,000.
Customers can print a LIHEAP application at pgworks.com/liheap, or call PGW’s Customer Care Team at 215-235-1000, Mon. – Fri., 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., to receive an application by mail. The grants are based on household size and income, available to both renters and homeowners, and do not have to be repaid.
For more information on COVID-19 Relief Grants and LIHEAP as well as additional PGW payment assistance programs, visit pgworks.com/residential/customer-care/payment-assistance.